NEWS AND EVENTS - Friday, September 20, 2013
HAMILTON PARISH CELEBRATES CENTENNIAL ANNIVERSARY
Hamilton, Ontario - October 11th-13th the St. Nicholas Serbian Orthodox Church on Barton Street in Hamilton, Ontario will be celebrating their 100th Parish Anniversary. See links below for more information.
Weekend Program Српски | Weekend Program English
First Record of Serbs in Hamilton 1904
Hamilton archives record the presence of Serbs (Servians) for the first time in 1904, but we may have been here earlier. Many Serbs at the turn of the century came to Canada from Austria-Hungary or the Ottoman Empire, not from the principality of Serbia, and may have been recorded as Austrians, Turks, or simply Slavs upon their arrival.
St. Nicholas Parish Founded 1913
The first Serbs of Hamilton arrived in and around1904. They worshipped with Russian, Ukrainian and Greek Orthodox until the arrival of Father Georgije Milosavljevic, a Serbian Orthodox priest. The Serbs at the time were mainly from the territories of former Austria-Hungary, primarily from the Kordun, Lika and Slavonija regions. They purchased a house on Sherman Avenue north, converting the upper level to a residence for their priest and the lower level to a chapel. In 1914, fundraising began in earnest for the construction of an actual church.
Queen Victoria Monument 1913
To give you an idea of the age of our parish, the Queen Victoria Monument in Hamilton’s Gore Park was dedicated in 1913.
Internment of Serbs in Ontario 1914 – 1916
Britain, and Canada, enter the first world war as allies of Serbia. However, because most Serbs in Hamilton are from Austria-Hungary originally, they are treated as ‘enemy aliens’ and hundreds of Canadian Serbs are sent to internment camps in Northern Ontario. It was only through the intervention of the Serbian League of Canada and Serbian clergy that they were released. Many tried to rebuild lives in Ontario, but others were so embittered at their treatment that they returned to their homeland.
World War I 1914 – 1918
The ‘War to end all wars’ saw Serbs in Canada emotionally torn: many returned to Europe to fight in the diaspora regiments, called “South Slavic Divisions”, and defend Serbia; some enlisted as Canadian soldiers. For all, a new identity of Serbian-Canadians was emerging.
Original Church Interior 1917
The iconostasis (Ikonostas) of an Orthodox Church is its visual focal point and is crucial to defining the sanctuary space. The simple hand-constructed iconostasis of the original St Nicholas church was made by parishioners themselves, carving details as best as they could. The icons were provided through the Russian Orthodox Church's Canadian mission, thanks to Bishop Alexander. They originated in the monastery print shop of the Kyiv-Pechory Lavra, which printed them in 1907. Prior to the demolition of the old church, the icons were carefully removed and taken to safety. Many of them are still in use or on display in our current parish church, a loving connection to our past
First St. Nicholas Church 1917
On the day of the patronal feast day (Slava) of the parish, Serbian Bishop Mardarije Uskokovic, assisted by Rev. Danilo Kozomara, consecrated the first Serbian Orthodox Church in Eastern Canada. The small wooden church was located in Hamilton's north end, an enclave of Slavic immigrants, at the corner of Beach Road & Northcote Avenue. The church had simple coloured-pane windows, a single belfry, and an iconostasis constructed by the parishioners themselves. The parish began its life under the blessing & jurisdiction of the Russian Orthodox Church, which had a strong missionary presence in North America since the 18th century. The Serbian Orthodox Church, being in a fledgling state of reorganization in the 20th century, actually did not see Serbian Canadians as anything more than migrant workers whom they expected would return to their homeland, in time.
Establishment of Serbian Orthodox Diocese for N. America 1920
Our parish, like many others, was founded under the auspices of the Russian Orthodox Church which had a strong missionary presence in North America since the 18th century. The Serbian Orthodox Church was in a state of reorganization at the turn of the century and shared the widely held opinion that Serbs in North America were only migrant workers who would return home one day. When it became clear that a Serbian presence was going to be permanent in Canada and the USA, the church responded, creating a continent-sized diocese centred at St. Sava Monastery in Libertyville, USA.
Serbian National Hall opens 1924
As our community grew, the need for a community centre arose. In 1924, the Serbian National Hall was opened. Located right next to the church on Northcote Street, it was the gathering place for Hamilton’s Serbs for many decades.
Royal Visit to Hamilton 1939
The visit of HRH King George VI & Queen Elizabeth was a great occasion for Hamilton. The royal couple opened the Queen Elizabeth Way during their visit, a major transit route made possible by the efforts of Hamiltonian Thomas B. McQuesten. The city organized welcome committees from the various ethnic groups living in Hamilton, and our parishioners were there representing the Serbian Community.
World War II 1941 – 1946
For Hamilton's Serbian community, news of the Nazi invasion of Yugoslavia, the bombing of Belgrade on April 6, 1941, and the declaration of the Fascist quisling 'Independent State of Croatia' on April 10, 1941 was heart-rending. The fates of family overseas were unknown, and a sense of helplessness pervaded Hamilton’s Serbian community felt a collective sense of fear and helplessness, especially in light of the news coming from Yugoslavia: Nazi reprisal killings, horrific genocide of Serbs at the hand of Croatian Ustasha fascists, the rise of a communist Partisan resistance which would later overpower the royalist Chetnik resistance. Hamilton Serbs chose to be active, rather than passive. The parish channeled energies into relief efforts for the Canadian Red Cross, supporting both overseas relief work and aiding newcomers to Canada. A large wave of immigration, mainly coming from anti-communist ranks of the Royal Yugoslav Army and western-allied Chetniks, bolstered numbers of Hamilton's Serbian community. Moreover, as many of those leaving war-torn Yugoslavia were highly educated, an period of rapid cultural growth ensues locally.
Serbian League of Canada 1944
Initially founded in 1908 in Serbia, and then established in 1914 in the United States & Canada, the Srpska Narodna Odbrana (Serbian League) became the primary defender of Serbians worldwide. The organization was present in Hamilton during WWI, but disbanded in peace time, only to reorganize again during WWII. The Serbian League intervened with Canadian government officials, published numerous publications presenting the case for the Western Allies’ continued support of the Chetnik royalist resistance, and brought Serbs together for many humanitarian appeals.
Centennial of the City of Hamilton 1946
When Hamilton celebrated its Centennial, celebrations included events highlighting the growing multicultural nature of the city. The parish organized a contingent in a 3 hour parade, and the Hamilton Spectator ran this photo of girls in Serbian costume. The original caption is: "National Groups - Serbian - L. to R. (Standing in rear) Helen Vitov, Jessie Abramovich, Naida Chelar, (foreground), Amo Kosavich, Helen Paprica, Violet Zelenkovich, Julie Zelenkovich, Jean Vitov”
Stevan Mokranjac Choir established 1948
The parish did not always have a Serbian priest. Romanian, Russian and Ukrainian priests all served at St. Nicholas Church. One of these, Ukrainian Orthodox Priest Rev. Miroslav Podolsky, served throughout the 1940’s. He approached parishioners Dobrosav Ilic & Lazar Stojsic to sing responses during Liturgy. Eventually, others joined them - and a choir was born. Hamilton’s Serbs honoured the great Serbian composer, Stevan Mokranjac, by naming their choral ensemble after him.
Jovan Sterija Popovic Theatre Group established 1948
The post-war wave of immigrants brought a great number of political refugees who were highly educated. Military officers, journalists, professors, artists - all enriched Hamilton’s Serbian community. In Canada, they found themselves scattered throughout Ontario as labourers. A group of CNR Railway workers started coming to church in Hamilton all the way from Toronto. One of the first cultural organizations they found is a theatre group named after Serbian playwright, Jovan Sterija Popovic. The group’s performances were always much anticipated, covering a repertoire of comedies & historical plays from various Serbian authors. The theatre group was active until the 1990’s.
Serbian School established 1948
As the parish had grown dramatically after the second world war, families felt a need for some way to engage their children in parish life, to retain their culture and faith in Canada. Dobrosav Ilic, a former teacher from Pirot, Serbia, was approached to organize a Serbian School (Srpska Skola) in order to teach Serbian language and customs, Orthodox Catechism, and liturgical singing. Our parish's Serbian School has functioned continuously since then, and remains the longest functioning Serbian School in Canada.
Circle of Serbian Sisters founded 1949
The Kolo Srpskih Sestara (Circle of Serbian Sisters) was a humanitarian organization organized by the women of Serbia as a way of helping refugees, orphans, amputees and veterans of the Balkan Wars (1912-1913). When Serbs came to Canada, they continued the organization in this country. In the 1930's, the "Queen Mary" KSS had been founded, independent of the parish but of course working closely with it. The parish founded its own KSS branch, "Mala Gospojina" (in honour of the Nativity of the Virgin Mary) in 1949. Alongside humanitarian work, the KSS fundraised for the parish and represented the community in various multicultural exhibits and celebrations in Hamilton. Knowing that the Yugoslav communist regime had banned the KSS, the Serbian women of Hamilton took up the torch of doing good works for their parish, their community and for all in need.
Arrival of Father George Vukelic 1949
During the early years of parish history, priests were difficult to retain for any length of time. Serbian, Romanian and Russian priests all served the parish for varying lengths of time. Father Miroslav Podolsky (left), a Ukrainian Orthodox priest, served the parish throughout the 1940's with great care for the needs of his parishioners and their uniquely Serbian customs. In 1949, the parish welcome Rev. Djuro (George) Vukelic (right) and his family. They arrived to us from a displaced persons' camp in Italy, and immediately began taking part all aspects of parish and community life. Father George remained parish priest until his retirement in 1995.
Badnjak Festivities 1950 – 1976
The Serbs of Hamilton have never stopped loving Christmas eve - Badnje vece. The gathering of friends at the parish to pray, witness the blessing of the Badnjak (yule tree) and enjoy a communal meal, with song and dance welcoming the new-born Saviour. One tradition that began in the 1950's and continued into the 1970's was the presentation of a Badnjak to the Mayor of the City. This began with Mayor Lloyd D. Jackson and continued through the long-time mayoralty of Victor K. Copps. The Badnjak stood in Hamilton City Hall lobby from Christmas Eve (Badnje Vece) Jan. 6th to Jan. 14th, Serbian New Year (Nova Godina, Vasilica or Mali Bozic)
Coronation Celebrations 1952
Cities throughout the Commonwealth organized festivities to mark the Coronation of HRH Queen Elizabeth II. In Hamilton, these culminated with a parade and festival in Hamilton Civic Stadium (later Ivor Wynne Stadium). Our parish choir joined numerous other city choirs in singing O Canada and God Save the Queen. The parish worked with the Serbian League of Canada to prepare a float for the parade. Radoslava Cica Vukelic, dressed as the young queen, gives a welcoming embrace to two children in traditional Serbian costume. Mrs. Kljajevich, in the regal costume of her native Montenegro, stands before an allegory of a Serbia enslaved behind the Iron Curtain.
"Canadian Srbobran" Begins publication 1954
The Kanadski Srbobran (Canadian Defender of Serbs) has been published continuously in Hamilton, by the Serbian League of Canada, since 1954. Although not a parish publication, the Srbobran defended the rights of Serbs worldwide, especially during difficult Cold War and Church Schism years. The editor, Lazar Stojsic, was an active parishioner of ours, and parish news and events were and still are covered by this long-standing element of the Canadian Serbian experience.
Canadian-Serbian Community Centre opens 1957
Bishop Dionisije (centre), assisted by parish priest Rev. Djuro Vukelic (2nd from left) and other Ontario clergy, blessed the opening of the Canadian-Serbian Community Centre at 1415 Barton Street east. This centre still is the focal point of all social activity of our parish.
Parish Choir Sings for King Peter II 1959
When King Peter II was in Toronto, a gala banquet was held at the Royal York Hotel. Our parish choir travelled from Hamilton to sing the Canadian and Serbian anthems, as well as a program of selected Mokranjac song cycles, the “rukoveti’. The choir was, at that time, led by Canko Cankov, a former musical director of the Bulgarian National Theatre in Sofia.
King Peter II visits our Parish 1959
After WWII, members of the Serbian/Yugoslav Royal family, the Karadjordjevici, were forced into exile by Tito’s regime. King Peter II resided in California, and his presence was an encouraging and unifying factor for Serbs in Canada and the USA. He made a historic visit to our Parish in 1957, and throngs of local Serbs came to greet him. Here he is shown with our parish school children and their teacher, Bogdana Stosich.
Canadian Serbs protest Tito Visit 1960
Hamilton Serbs took part in demonstrations on Parliament Hill, protesting a visit by Yugoslav communist dictator Josip Broz Tito. In a time when the Cold War was in full swing, many Canadian politicians regretted the western allies' decision to change support from the royalist Chetnik movement to the communist Partisans led by Tito; both Eisenhower and Churchill expressed their regret after the war, as Tito had the royalist resistance leader, Drazha Mihailovic, executed after a sham trial in Belgrade, 1946. The political engagement of parishioners was particularly high in the decades immediately after the war, as they saw Canada as a freedom-loving country where they were appreciated as new citizens. The protests in Ottawa and later similar ones in Washington, led by Serbian Bishop Dionisije, enraged Tito to the point of formulating a plan to create a church schism, weakening the political clout of the Serbian diaspora.
Serbian Church Schism 1963
Serbian immigration to Canada and the United States increased after the Second World War as thousands fled the oppressive Tito regime. Tito’s plan to disrupt the unity of the Serbian diaspora involved the installation of a hand-picked, party approved Patriarch, German Djoric. The diaspora was torn between those who refused to follow a patriarch put in place by an officially atheist, hostile regime, and those who worried that schism might cause greater spiritual problems for the church. In Hamilton, the split is less rancourous than in many American cities, but it leads to the formation of a second parish on Nash Road. The two parishes were never separated in any dogmatic matters of faith; unfortunately, politics had insinuated itself into the lives of Hamilton’s Serbs. Only decades later would the followers of ‘rebellious’ Bishop Dionisije (defrocked by the communist patriarch) be vindicated, as the ailing Patriarch German confessed the role of the Yugoslav Communist Party in both his election and the schism, in a series of interviews before his death.
S.F.E. Kolo established 1969
SFE Kolo began as a small group of folk dance enthusiasts, performing for the first time at a multicultural event at Scott Park Secondary School in Hamilton. From that simple start, an ensemble has grown that features dancers & musicians who represent our parish and our city on stages worldwide. Kolo has been Hamilton’s ambassador at performing at Canada Day in Ottawa; Opening ceremony & cultural festival of Edmonton Commonwealth Games; the Vrsac international Folklore Festival; and the Lincoln Centre for the Performing Arts in New York City.
Serbian Chetniks Organization 1969
Founded in 1949, the Organization of Serbian Chetniks brought together veteran combatants of the WWII royalist resistance. Our own parish priest, Father Djuro Vukelic, had in fact been a member and supporter of the Chetnik resistance. This photo, from 1969, reminds us that their Canadian-born children nurture the stories and memory of their freedom-loving parents and grandparents.
First St. Nicholas Folklore Group 1970
Folk dance groups are a vital part of community life in most Serbian Orthodox parishes across North America. In Hamilton, parishioner Taso Ristic organized a dance group for Canadian-born young people to learn the songs & dances of their ancestral land. The dance group still represent our parish at many events, especially the Canada Day celebrations in Gage Park, and in many other communities in Ontario and the USA.
Death of King Peter II 1970
When King Peter II died, Serbs in the diaspora lost a leader and symbol of their wartime struggle. The king’s relatives could not bury his remains in the Royal Mausoleum at Oplenac in Serbia. His funeral and burial at the St. Sava Monastery in Libertyville, IL, was attended by thousands of Serbs, including several busloads of mourners from Hamilton.
Demolition of Old Church 1972
The demolition of the original St. Nicholas Church on Beach Road still raises discussion, and regret, among those who remember it. The parish had, indeed, outgrown the small wooden church, but many wanted to see the structure preserved. The church was deconsecrated, the icons carefully taken down, and - as this Hamilton Spectator photo shows - the bells removed. These bells would later be incorporated into the new church’s belfry.
Blessing of Corner Stone for new church 1973
With a founders’ scroll and bottle of blessed olive oil sealed within it, the corner stone of the new church is blessed by Bishop Irinej Kovacevic.
Ground Breaking for New Church 1973
Toronto-based architect Radovan Radovic is shown breaking ground for the future church he designed. Radovic visited Hamilton daily and contributed much time and effort in the construction itself. Rev. George Vukelic is assisted by Rev. Ljubo Stojanovic and Rev. Radovan Jaksic.
Consecration of New Church 1974
After a year of construction, the new church on Barton Street was consecrated in September, 1974. Bishop Irinej Kovacevic, assisted by clergy from Ontario and the eastern USA, carried out the ritual. The mosaic over the entrance door was the crowning jewel of the beautiful Serbo-Byzantine structure, the work of artist Sava Rakocevic. Sponsors of the event were Djuro and Vera Marijan.
Holy Trinity Centre 1975
The purchase of a Binbrook picnic ground, “Shady Acres”, gave Hamilton and Ontario Serbs a green oasis to retreat to every summer. Bishop Dionisije Milivojevic leads clergy in the blessing of the grounds, on the Feast of the Holy Trinity.
New Iconostasis 1977
The Hamilton Spectator highlighted the arrival and consecration of the new church’s iconostasis. The structure is hand carved out of solid walnut wood, by artisans in the studio of Argyrios Kavroulakis in Iraklion, Crete. The icons are oil on canvas, by Russian iconographer Igor Suhachev of Toronto. Sponsors of the event were young brother & sister Nikola and Snezana Milanovic.
Stevan Mokranjac Mixed Choir 1981
The choir had been reorganized as a mixed choir in 1974, and grew in both membership and repertoire over the next decades. Long-time director was Nebojsa Braco Vukelic.
Canadian-Serbian Community Centre 1982
Our community centre continued to serve as a social focal point. In the 1980’s, we opened our doors to visitors at the HarvesTrek festival.
Commemoration of 200th Anniversary of Vuk Karadzic 1987
Serbs worldwide mark the bicentennial of the birth of Vuk Stefanovic Karadzic, ethnographer, lexicographer and linguistic reformer. Hamilton Serbs mark the milestone with a historical exhibit.
Parish 75th Anniversary 1988
A concert featuring all of the cultural organizations of our parish topped an eventful weekend commemorating three quarters of a century of our parish.
Millenium of Russian Christianity Celebrations 1988
Hamilton’s Copps Coliseum brings together Slavic Orthodox faithful to mark the Millennium of the Baptism of Kievan Rus. Ukrainian, Russian, Serbian clergy & laity fill the arena. Bishop Irinej & Rev Djuro Vukelic are among liturgical concelebrants.
600th Anniversary of Battle of Kosovo 1989
Another major anniversary commemorated by Serbs world wide, memorial services, academies and laying of wreaths occurred in Hamilton, while the diocesan commemoration at New Gracanica Monastery in Grayslake, IL had excellent Hamilton representation by KOLO and several busloads of parishioners.
Kosovo Anniversary Marked in Hamilton 1989
The banner spanning King Street, in front of Hamilton City Hall, was an honour for local Serbs.
First SOCA Festival 1990
The Serbian Orthodox Choral Association (SOCA) chose Hamilton’s Stevan Mokranjac Choir to host its annual festival for the first time in 1990. The festival draws Serbian choral ensembles from across North America to Hamilton, and is the first time SOCA selects a Canadian host city. The festival would come back to Hamilton two more times, in 2000 and 2012
School Facility Opens 1990
In September, 1990, a longtime goal is realized when the basement of the church is converted to a new school facility. The school and school books (bukvari) were blessed by Rev. Djuro Vukelic and Rev. Svetozar Secerov.
Kolo at Lincoln Centre, NYC 1990
The first of three appearances at Alice Tully Hall and Avery Fisher hall occurs in January, 1990.
Yugoslav Wars of Secession 1991 – 1996
As the breakup of Yugoslavia leads to more and more conflict, Hamilton experiences and influx of Serbian refugees displaced from their homes in Bosnia, Hercegovina, and the Krajina region. Hamilton’s Serbs respond by actively helping parish relief efforts. These include sponsoring war orphans, sending clothing, medicine and medical equipment to Serbs in Europe, and outreach to new arrivals in Hamilton. At the same time, parishioners participate in protests and awareness campaigns organized by The Canadian Serbian Council and Serbian League of Canada.
First Patriarchal Visit 1992
Serbian Orthodox Patriarch Pavle will be remembered forever as the leader who healed the Church Schism. He reached out to the diaspora by being the first Serbian Church Patriarch to visit North America. At our parish, he was greeted by throngs of faithful, whom he led in prayer. Later, he visited with our parish school children.
Arrival of Father Vojislav Pavlovic 1995
When Rev. Djuro Vukelic was preparing to retire, the parish was fortunate to welcome Rev. Vojislav Pavlovic. Originally from Valjevo, Serbia, Rev. Vojislav came to us after serving at a parish in New Jersey. He immediately established an excellent rapport with parishioners and, most importantly, with Rev. Djuro, making the transition smooth. His energy enabled many new undertakings: a successful repair (reconstruction) of the major church dome and roof, initiation of the fresco project, renovations of the school and hall, and several publications. He is still our parish priest.
Annual Church Ball established 1997
The first formal Ball was held in 1997, and since then they have only become more grand and more beautiful events. They feature creative themes, great prizes, and a delicious meal - all for the cause of helping our parish. The Ball Commiitte devotes a great deal of creativity and energy into this major fundraising event for our parish.
Protesting NATO bombing of Serbia 1999
All Serbs in the diaspora met with indignation the bombing of Serbia by NATO in 1999. For eighty eight days of the bombing campaign, a most unprecedented show of Serbian unity unfolded in many places across Canada, including Hamilton and most significantly the daily demonstrations on University Avenue in Toronto, in front of the Consultate of the USA. Disappointed that their country, Canada, has decided to bow to greater pressures and take part in the heavy-handed measure against the land of their origins, Serbia, Canadian Serbs remember 1999 as a particularly bitter year.
30th Anniversary of SFE Kolo 1999
2000 SOCA Festival in Hamilton 2000
Host Choir Stevan Mokranjac puts together a three-day event of choral music, dancing and celebrating all things related to Serbian music, culminating in a Liturgy and banquet to conclude it.
Beginning of Fresco Iconography 2000
After a period of planning and searching for an artist, our parish was fortunate to have Father Theodore Jurewicz, a Russian Orthodox priest and iconographer from Erie, PA, become a part of our parish for a grand four year endeavour. The previously all-white walls of our church interior would soon come alive with images of the life and miracles of Christ, and the saints of our Church. A true labour of love and devotion, ours is the only church in Canada to have frescoes completed by this true master.
Akathist Services Begin 2003
Ever since the arrival of the Trojeručica icon, an Akathist Service has been held before the image every Friday night. The parish published the first Serbian-English Bilingual edition of this service for this purpose. The icon has become an important part of parish life & identity.
Arrival of Trojerucica Icon 2003
On the occasion of the 90th anniversary of the parish, a very special Icon made its way from Hilandar Monstery on Mt Athos, Greece, to Hamilton. This icon is a copy of the famous miraculous icon of Our Lady "of Three Hands" (Bogorodica Trojerucica) and was the first of its kind in North America (and still the only copy of its kind in Canada). Rev. Voljislav Pavlovic, having made a pilgrimage to the holy mountain, was instrumental in obtaining this icon for our church. It is the single most important icon of its kind to all Serbian Orthodox faithful, and having it in our church is a great blessing.
Continuation of Fresco Iconography 2003
As the fresco project continued, Fr. Theodore had help from his sons, art students, and from Father Raphael, a Brazilian Orthodox priest interested in learning iconography. For a while, we had unusually multilingual services, with parts chanted in Slavonic, Serbian, English and Portuguese!
SFE Kolo in Serbia 2005
During their first tour of Serbia, SFE Kolo was honoured with a private Patriarchal Audience. His Holiness, Patriarch Pavle of blessed memory, shared words of encouragement with the dancers & musicians, expressing his hope that the preserve their faith, language, and culture for future generations.
Completion of Fresco Iconography 2005
After four years of creativity and toil, Father Theodore Jurewicz completes the fresco murals in our church. As he completes them, he signs one composition in a corner in church slavonic: “Слава Богу, Конец” (Slava Bogu, Konyets) - “Glory to God, it is finished”.
SFE Kolo recognized for artistic contributions 2006
SFE Kolo was the first Canadian folkloric ensemble to be honoured by the Cultural branch of Serbia’s Ministry of the Diaspora. At a formal reception at the Consulate of the Republic of Serbia, a delegation from Kolo was presented with the “Zlatna Značka” (Golden Badge) in recognition of its many decades of work in the preservation & promotion of Serbian musical & dance heritage in Canada. Another Hamilton Serbian first.
Doors Open Hamilton 2007
Our parish church has had the honour of being part of Doors Open Hamilton since 2006, and has been a featured site in the Ontario-wide guidebook. A great way to discover the architecture and history of Hamilton, visitors to our church always enter somewhat surprised, and leave smiling.
Visit of "Branko" Choir from Niš, Serbia 2007
60th Anniversary of Serbian School 2008
Students & teachers commemorated six decades of learning, at the annual St. Sava Celebration.
SFE Kolo in Serbia 2008
SFE Kolo not only travelled to Serbia for a second time, it was also honoured by the Serbian Government’s Ministry of the Diaspora with the “Zlatna Znacka” (Golden Medallion) for their four decades of work toward the preservation of Serbian folkloric culture in Canada.
Second Patriarchal Visit 2012
During his visit to Canada, Serbian Orthodox Patriarch Irinej serves the Holy Archhierarchical Liturgy at St. Nicholas Church. On this occasion. Mrs. Milanka Zaric, long-serving president of the Circle of Serbian Sisters, receives the Order of St. Sava for her many decades of work for our parish.
Centennial Year 2013
A century of faith, community, heritage - all to be celebrated throughout 2013. we have much to be thankful for and, God willing, we have much to look forward to in the future.